Friday, January 16, 2015

Calum's Birth Story

Calum finally arrived!!! And, I was able to successfully have a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) delivery with him which was a miracle! We didn't have much hope that I would be able to unless my body would go into labor on it's own. I was over due and the scheduled c-section date was getting close. I was starting to lose hope. My mom flew into town Wednesday evening. We were able to have a really fun day together on Thursday and all of us went out to a nice dinner Thursday night.

Then, Thursday in the middle of the night I started having contractions. I just ignored them so I wouldn't get my hopes up. But, then my water broke and within a half hour my contractions were getting really intense and close together. We rushed to the hospital and got me all checked in. A few hours later I was dilated to an 8 which was fabulous news to us! We were starting to think it all might work the way we had hoped and prayed. Shortly after I got to that point my labor completely stalled. Contractions started slowing way down and the doctor was pretty sure that I would have to have another c-section. I was feeling pretty discouraged. 

They decided to try giving me pitocin to see if they could get my contractions closer together and get my body to progress more. After a few hours of pitocin I was dilated to a 10 and ready to push! I was so excited but extremely exhausted by that point. After about an hour and half of pushing Calum was finally born at 10:36 pm on Friday, January 9th (his Grandma Boles' birthday too!). He was 8 lbs. 3 oz. and 20.25 inches long with a full head of thick, black hair! 

As soon as he was delivered they put him on my chest for some skin-to-skin time and he immediately latched on to me to eat. It was such a beautiful experience! I can't believe how much love and emotion Austin and I felt in those moments. It was everything I had hoped it would be! I am so grateful that I was able to go into labor on my own and progress to the point that delivering vaginally was possible. It was really an answer to a lot of prayers. 

The days after were amazing. Mom brought Oliver to the hospital every morning and afternoon. He LOVED hanging out with Calum and holding him and trying to help with things. We had lots of visitors those first few days. It was so nice to have such good friends coming to see us and meet Calum. Sunday we were released from the hospital and able to go home and be together as a family! 

My mom has made life so great! She has taken care of everything at home so that I can just relax and take naps and enjoy Calum. He really is such an angel. He hardly ever fusses or cries and he is an incredible eater! That kid can really pack it down. At 4 days old he was already back to his birth weight! He gained 3 ounces in a 24 hour period.... I couldn't believe it! After his first doctor's appointment we were re-assured that he is absolutely healthy and we have nothing to worry about. We feel so incredibly blessed!

Feeling good once the epidural kicked in. :)

Oliver came to hang out while waiting for labor to progress

Finally here with us!

I love all his black hair!

Oliver is absolutely smitten by his new brother

This excitement still hasn't worn off!

My beautiful mom holding her newest grandbaby

I am so in love with my boy

Mommy and Calum

In his "going home" outfit

About to leave the hopsital

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful photos of a beautiful baby and family. These are treasures. Thank you for sharing them. We miss you but know you are where you should be. Two little boys have chosen their parents very well. Love you