Monday, July 22, 2013

Whitney Family Reunion

Visiting Lone Pine, California again was a dream come true! My Dad was raised in that tiny place and we visited every summer my whole childhood until my grandparents moved away in 2006... I think? Anyway, it had been a long time since I had been there and I was dying to show Austin this magical place that I talked so much about. 

We met up with tons of family members for the reunion. It was so great to see all my Aunts, Uncles and Cousins most of whom I hadn't seen in years. I wish I had taken more pictures of our group get togethers. We had several family dinners at the camping grounds we stayed at. We visited Whitney Portal, walked around the streets of Lone Pine, went out searching for Native American artifacts (Hannah, Dad, Chris and Austin found tons of arrow heads and even a few beads), hiked around the Alabama hills, etc. It was amazing!

But, the most incredible thing we did was hike Meysan Lake Trail for old times' sake. We used to hike Meysan when we were kids and we were all anxious to do it again. It is a 10 mile hike with an elevation gain of 3, 960 ft! The elevation at the lakes at the top is 11,660 ft.!!! We left early in the morning, got there in the afternoon, spent a few hours at the top fishing, cooking our fish and exploring and then we hiked back down to get back in time for a family dinner. It was so worth it!!! 

People thought we were nuts to bring Ollie with us (since he wasn't even a year old yet)...but he was a champ! He did so great and never complained. Oliver loves nature so much. It's amazing how much he would prefer to be on an all day hike then sitting at home. When we got to the top he even took a long nap! We were very impressed with our little mountain baby!


Austin, Chris and Dad fishing at Whitney Portal

Me and Dev!

My little Oliver

Hanging with Mimi

So proud to catch a fish!

Beautiful Hannah!

Whitney Portal- this place holds so many childhood memories!

The top of Mt. Meysan! It's a 10 mile trail with an elevation gain of 3,960 ft!

My handsome Dad!

Oliver snacking at the top- this kid is a trooper!

Fishing for dinner!

Our little family. Everyone thought we were crazy to hike this with Oliver but we were so happy we did it!

Hope watching Oliver take a nap at the top.

Beautiful lake full of delicious fish!

I have so many childhood memories here!

Chris fishing at the upper lake

Chris, Hope, Hannah and Dad at the upper lake

Austin fishing at the upper lake

I love my mountain man!

Dev and Chris!

Me, Oliver and Dev cooking up our fish!

Oliver and me

Climbing back down the steep slopes

I love these two!


No comments:

Post a Comment